Saturday, March 7, 2009

Abby is growing so BIG!!

Ok, she is still smaller at 4 weeks old than some of her cousins were at birth but she is gaining weight at a good pace!! I took her to the doctor to be weighed last tuesday (her 4 week birthday) and she is now 8 pounds! That means she has gained on average 8 ounces a week! This is very reassuring to me. I am sure every breastfeeding mom at some time has had the same worries as I have about whether or not she is eating enough. Now for the updates of what she can do. As you can see from the picture above, she can roll to one side but i'm not sure if that is of her own doing or gravity. She is starting to make sounds other that crying. She makes these little sighing noises that are adorable!! She is definately a mover and shaker. She is always moving her legs around. When I am holding her on my shoulder and she moves her legs around, I can put one hand below her feet and she will sort of stand up, albeit I am supporting most of her body. Most exciting of all, today she looked at me and smiled. This smile looked a little different from her "gas smiles" she has been having. Maybe it was still one of those but it is nice to imagine she was smiling at me.
She isn't as big on the swaddling as other babies are. If we try to put her hands in the blanket burrito, she wrestles them away so I gave up even trying to wrap them up. Many times when she is sleeping, she looks like this or she'll have her hands up under her chin. Jason usually sleeps with his hands behind his head too. She is developing to be more like him every day! (at least I think so). I'll have her weighed again on monday, there is a program the county does where they send nurses to the homes of newborns if the parents want so the nurse is coming here monday to weigh her and check to see how she is doing. I will try to update everyone then. P.S. It is Jason's birthday next tuesday so wish him a happy birthday!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited that you found me! Your little girl is adorable! I just got caught up on reading your blog, you have had an exciting and emotional year, but I know you will do great and be a wonderful mom! Good luck with everything, we wish you the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, she did get bigger. I mean she looks beautiful. Glad things are still great. Hearing you over the phone I can tell you are just the happiest mommy. You sound so happy and loving everything. That is too funny about how she sleeps with her hands behind her head. Yea sounds like she sleeps like her daddy. That is great that a nurse will come by and see how Abigail is doing. We will send Al a card and a lil someting for his birthday. Which Tuesday is it? Well take care and can't wait to see you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is too funny how she sleeps! I bet it is a lot of fun to watch her grow and develop!!

    Hugs and give her a kiss for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diana! I just found your blog. I feel like such a terrible neighbor! We have been so sick that I haven't even dared to stop by. I'm pretty sure all of our germs are gone. Please call me if you need any help. She is so adorable! Hali used to put her hands just like Eric's when she slept too. Such fun memories!

    ReplyDelete