Wednesday, February 18, 2009

2 Weeks!!

It's hard to believe that Abby turned 2 weeks yesterday!! In some ways, it feels like longer than that. Probably because I have been awake enough to equal more like 3 weeks. We took her into the pediatrician yesterday for her 2 week check up. She looks like she is doing really good. She has grown and inch and a 1/2 since she was born. I think since I see her everyday, I don't realize it. She weighed in yesterday at 6 pounds 10 ounces! I don't know how accurate that weight is though because when we took her to PCMC last thursday, she was only 6 pounds. Abby was squirming around alot then though and was really fussy so maybe that weight wasn't that accurate. The important thing is that she is gaining weight and she is growing! Yeah!! She is also starting to sleep alot less during the day which is fun to see her awake and interacting with Jason and I. Hearing that she is doing well has helped me realize that even though she has MCAD deficiency, she really is going to be able to live a normal life. Just have to keep up with the treatment plan. There is a website about her disorder that has a support group for families. Reading some experiences on there has also helped me alot. Last week, I spent every waking moment worrying about if she was going to be OK and what her life was going to be like. Then monday night I read some posts from parents on the website. One lady made a really good point. She said that as she was watching her 13 year old son who has MCAD play baseball the other day, she realized that she had worried his childhood away and how much she regretted it. That really helped me change my point of view. Sure there are risks with this disorder but even completely healthy children face risks. She is a beautiful and strong girl and we feel that she has truly been a blessing in our lives and we are so lucky to have her.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad that she is growing and doing so well!! It's great that you found that website and you can hear other peoples experiences! The fear of the unknown is the worst! I hope you can get some advise from them and tips to manage Abby's condition.

    You will do great!! You are a strong person and you will be strong for little Abby!

    Take care and try not to worry to much even though I know that is easier said than done! Hugs!!!!

    Give Abby a kiss for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad Abby is doing well. Tommy and I are happy to hear that. Glad you have that website. I am sure that will help out a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad she's doing so well! That's great that there's a website for support. That sounds like it'll help a lot. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, my Mom said that the pamper swadlers diapers are the way to go for small babies. My neiece was small and they all swear by them. They also found them online so you can order them. Just a suggestion!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete