Friday, September 11, 2009

The Silver Lining

Before I dive into this post I have to first preface why I am writing it. I belong a FOD Support Group (fatty acid oxidation disorders, a family of disorders that includes Abby's MCAD). In their most recent newsletter, they asked for submissions of our silver lining to the FOD diagnosis. This has had me thinking alot and I decided to share my thoughts on here. In the newsletter I can't share any religious views but as I think about it, many of the silver linings are blessings from Heavenly Father so I decided I would write them here since this is my blog and I can write whatever I want so here goes.

If you had asked in the very beginning to tell you what the silver lining was to Abby's MCAD diagnosis I would have probably given you a dirty look or just started crying but time and education can really do alot to change you perspective. The very first blessing is the obvious, because of the type of diet that Abby will have to follow she will start out her life on the healthy eating path I always wanted my children to be on but I probably would have given in easily to convenience. Our health will also be affected for good by eating a low fat diet. (Jason says he is too far gone but I am going to prove him wrong!!) It is interesting that I always said before that I didn't want to have potato chips and junk food in the house when we had children and now it is not just a good idea but a necessary one.

The next blessing is a knowledge that Heavenly Father really does know what is best for us even when we think we know what is better. I was devastated when we were told that we would not be able to take Abby home at the normal time. I knew my baby wasn't eating well but we had no idea she had a medical condition. There was nothing more heartbreaking than coming home from the hospital and instead of bringing our beautiful girl home, we were just making a quick trip to pick up more clothes. Now I cringe when I think of what would have happened if we had brought her home as planned and had her go into a metabolic crisis at home. She was most likely already in a crisis state that morning because usually a blood sugar drop is a late sign. Now I know that it was better for us to stay in the hospital, for Abby to get an IV and for her to have the time and the energy to learn how to eat properly.

The next blessing is more from just having a child rather than from an MCAD diagnosis. It is a renewed sense of the importance of families being sealed for eternity through the blessings of the Temple. It is comforting to know that as our family grows, we are all sealed together for eternity. I am so thankful everyday for this blessing.

I am also thankful that I decided to pursue my education in the health field. I always found an interest in health, especially in nutrition. I always found it interesting how the body systems worked and especially how what you ate worked in the body. However, if I had become a nutritionist (if I ever get my masters, that is what I want to do) and stayed on my old path, I would have become one of those "practice what I preach, not what I do" nutritionists. Now is the time to put my education into play. Instead of hating to look at recipes and knowing my child can't eat them, I now look at it as a fun challenge to take recipes and make them healthier and also to make meals for Jason and I that are healthy but also so tasty that we won't miss the fatty foods we used to eat.

I think that having a child with any type of a health problem opens your eyes and your hearts to those who have similar or worse trials. Just for example, the very first time we took Abby to her appointment at Primary Childrens, it was like I had blinders on. How could anything be wrong with my child? What kind of life is she going to live? Questions like this flooded my mind. On our second trip, I really saw for the first time all the children who weren't there for a quick check up, the children who couldn't walk and run. It was heartbreaking. Now it makes me want to do what I can to help support the childrens hospital and in turn help those children. It also helps you realize that it could be worse. As long as we fuel Abby's body correctly and take care of her properly when she is sick, she CAN walk and run, she CAN live a normal life!

The last silver lining is a selfish one. I do have to say that now I feel a little vindicated in the fact that I told Jason when we were first married that I didn't want us to own a deep fat fryer. (Fried foods and foods with coconut, coconut milk and coconut oil are the foods that Abby absolutely cannot have).

So while it is going to be a challenge and there are still days that I dread flu season and feel sad for Abby that she may never know the joy of eating an onion ring or worry how she is going to feel when she is older and all of her friends can eat junk food I know that we have been truly blessed by Heavenly Father. I hope this post will prompt each of you to think of the challenges in your life and look for the silver lining.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you are starting to see the "silver lining" in the whole situation! I know sometimes it is hard to look beyond the pain and frustration of now and see it. I'm so glad that our little Abby is ok and continues to makes us smile with her cute pictures! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete