Saturday, January 17, 2009

Just another day!

Today is January 17th. For those of you who do not know, today is my original due date. While I knew this day would come and go with about 99% chance of nothing happening, I thought I should still commemorate it. I have decided to do that by sharing what I will and won't miss about pregnancy.

What I won't miss:
I have been really lucky and haven't had any major issues such as swelling or bed rest so the things I won't miss are Heartburn (I honestly believe I didn't know what heartburn was until I was pregnant), not being able to move like I used to and all the general pains.

What I will miss:
I have learned a valuable lesson from pregnancy. All through my major in school, body image was a topic that came up quite often. It is a well known fact that rare is the woman who is completely happy with how she looks and wouldn't change anything. I (as well as probably many of you) am not one of those women but pregnancy helped me be more accepting of myself. It is one of the few times in your life when:
a. The doctor tells you to eat more fattening foods because you aren't gaining enough weight.
b. You get on the scale in the doctors office and see numbers so high you didn't think you would ever be that big and the doctor tells you your weight is great.
c. Your waist is larger than any other part of your body and people constantly tell you how cute you are and how great you look.
It is like a new found freedom where you know you don't look how society says you should yet you still feel really good about yourself. I hope I can take this lesson with me into motherhood and remember that it is more important that I take care of my health than to look a certain way (although it would be great if I could be healthy and a size 6.) I also don't want to pass on body image concerns to my daughter. At a conference once, we watched a video from Oprah about this 5 year old girl who was worried about her weight. The mom couldn't figure out why but then they showed the family eating breakfast and the mom was in the corner drinking slim fast. It is amazing what children pick up on. Well, that is enough of my rambling for now, we will keep everyone posted.

4 comments:

  1. I love your outlook Johnny! Thanks for keeping us posted, we love to hear how things are going. Can't wait to hear when she gets here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good observation! about not fitting the norm but feeling beautiful anyways! I hope you can feel beautiful everyday because you are inside and out!!!

    That is also a good thing to keep in mind the body image issue rubbing off on kids. My sister is a TOOTH PICK!!! and her son is going to have MAJOR issues with women and I think it's becasue of his father. I just hate to see kids take those things from there parents.

    Good luck girl and keepus posted!

    Much Love and give that bean a pat for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great attitude! I agree with being healthy. I still have baby weight to lose. But I remember after my first, I decided Julia was worth all the stretch marks and wider hips. I'm sure you'll feel the same way about your little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes that is a very great attitude you have. Stay positive girl. Keep us updated please.

    ReplyDelete